"Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen, such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth."
(John Wesley letter to Alex Mather, August 6, 1777)

Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Greatest Generation

The Greatest Generation

They are the greatest generation. In their youth they fought wars, rescued the economy from a deep depression, built churches, taught Sunday school classes and brought a country to greatness. They danced the jitterbug, listened to big band music, watched Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn navigate the African Queen and they loved mightily in their time. They mourned the loss of husbands, wives, uncles, aunts, children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren to war and the ravages of time. They have taught us the great lessons of life. They are the saints of our churches and we honor their witness.

I love their old photographs. The jaunty hats, practical clothes, coifed hair, old cars, kids and sometimes a farm animal or pet. All carefully posing and seldom caught off guard because photos were a special event back in their day. Many times they have stern, confident expressions. On other occasions, they have a devil-may-care smile, like they were up to something. From the tales told by my parents, they often were. I have heard their stories of sacrifice, hope, joy, sorrow and neighbor helping neighbor and stranger helping stranger. I have heard their stories of faith.

As lay ministers, the greatest generation is many times in our care. We owe them the best we can give. I began nursing home ministry a few years ago. I didn’t mean to. I was driving to Austin one day and was listening to a Christian station. They were talking about nursing home ministry and at first; I said (to myself) “no way” could I do that. After a few miles down the road, I became more and more convinced that God had that ministry in mind for me. Two days later, I was asked to preach at a local home. God can be direct when he wants to.

I would like to tell you that I studied and planned and read about this type of ministry, but instead, I just went. I had my Bible and I had some Scripture I wanted to read and some prayers I wanted to share. Fortunately, I had a great musician with me to bring music. I discovered pretty quickly that I had better bring a sermon and a good one. They have plenty of experience to tell the difference. I learned that they have trouble holding the hymnals and finding the pages, but that is alright because most have the words to the old Hymns memorized. I have learned that many of them are fearful now, a little lonely, and tired of constant aches and pains. They miss their spouses, friends and children. They are aggravated that their bodies have given out. Their memories have sometimes faded. But with all of this, they love to visit. They love the old Hymns and hold the Scripture sacred. They need to tell their stories. They need to be comforted and reassured how much Jesus loves them. Prayer is important to them. They look out for each other.

Today was my day to preach at the nursing home and we brought a good (I hope) message and sang all of the old songs of Eastertide. I now consider the residents friends. That is hard because I lose them fairly often. But I remain amazed at their hope and their faith. They take the promise and assurance of salvation very seriously. We read from the 14th chapter of John quite often because they love to hear the words of Jesus and how he has prepared a place for them. Many of my friends are packed and ready for the trip.

After I just jumped in, I have found that there are some good resources for this ministry, such as Lay Pastoral Care Giving by Timothy Farabaugh, Discipleship Resources, 2009. The elder care sections of the certified lay ministry courses certainly are excellent. It is good to talk with your mentoring pastor about the ministry and to spend a little time with the social director at the facilities you visit. They will have some helpful ideas. Be mindful of HIPAA rules and regulations. Mainly, it is important to be there in mind and spirit, pray hard about what God wants you to do there, treat each resident with dignity and listen to them. Frankly, it takes some time to win their trust. Consistency is really important and when you serve on a regular basis, they will begin looking forward to your visits. After a while, you will be hard pressed to discern who has been more blessed by this ministry; you or the folks you visit with.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment